We help property owners turn their dreams into a reality by assisting them to get council approval for their residential development. Founded in 1996, we employ ex–local government staff to give your development application the best possible chance. We know town planning law back to front and eat complexity for breakfast.
The dream you have for your residential development is close; only thing is that a residential development (or adjustments to an existing one) will bring scrutiny from council – considerations such as car parking, environmental impacts, proximity to neighbours, and neighbourhood character will be carefully examined.
Your first step is to give us a call on 1300 008 138 to establish what type of residential development you would like to pursue. Then we will determine whether you need council approval or if there’s an easier avenue.
Do you need council approval?
When you give us a call, we will listen to your ambitions for a residential development and will ask you questions to help us better understand the direction you want to head.
As the NSW planning system is complex and can be frustrating for property owners, our next step will be to see if there is a way we can fast-track the paperwork through a simplified application process. If a development application is found to be needed, we will provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision to move forward.
The first step is to engage us to do an initial consultation (known as a preliminary planning assessment). This consultation will provide help you decide the type of residential development you are pursuing and an expert opinion on whether council approval is needed and, if so, what the best avenue to maximise the chances of success is.
Lisa (café owner) shares her story of opening a café.
So how does the process work?
Our proven 5-step process to achieving council approval is designed to enhance your success. Each step is designed to leverage our 40 years’ experience in dealing with council so that you can achieve council approval as quickly as possible.
Your Steps to Development Approval
Step 1 Preliminary Planning Assessment
Step 2 Documentation Preparation
Step 3 Lodge Most Appropriate Application*
Step 4 Approval from council or certifier
Step 5 Celebrate
*Requires expert input to ensure success
What council rules do I need to comply with?
We consult to many property owners. Some of the themes we see coming through in terms of local government compliance for a residential development are:
1. Car parking:There are specific requirements for car parking for residential properties.
2. Environmental impacts: Environmental impacts such as stormwater drainage, bushfire vulnerability, and steep slopes must be carefully considered.
3. Proximity to neighbours: There are various mechanisms used to put limits on how close neighbours can build to each other including building envelopes, setback, and size restrictions.
4. Neighbourhood character: Is your proposed residential development consistent with the character of the neighbourhood.
Every 4.5 days we achieve council approval for our clients.
We know what council is looking for… because we used to be employees of council!
What Experience Do We Have?
Here’s a sample of residential developments we have helped achieve council approval for:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t I organise the approval myself?
We fast-track your council approval process, saving you the time hassle and stress of doing it yourself. NSW has the most complicated planning system in Australia. In business, time is money. Get your residential development running the way you want it as quickly as possible. We’ll leave the workout to you; leave the development approval to us.
Can I start trading without local government consent?
What many don’t realise is that when you don’t comply with town planning law you’re actually breaking the law. We’ve come to the rescue of people faced with a $3,000 per day fine under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act NSW.
Property owners need certainty before investing in new development. Don’t risk being closed down by council. Call us and engage us to do a preliminary assessment on your proposal.
How much does it cost?
Call our office on 02 4784 3235 for a no obligation discussion about the desired outcome you would like to achieve for your residential development. Based on what you tell us about your proposal we would be happy to provide a quote for what we feel your next step is.
Do you also prepare plans?
Yes. We have a dedicated team of three CAD designers plus additional architects to help turn your residential development dream into a reality.
Want someone local?
Our family run business is about connecting with clients. Our team live and work in the suburbs and towns you are in. We love local as much as you do. It not only makes for better communities it makes for better town planning and better development.
PS – we look forward to celebrating with you after we achieve the council approval you need. ☺
Who Will Be Working On My Project?
Client Relations Manager
With over a decade of experience in the property world, which includes working for the Australian Property Institute, Tracy has a wealth of knowledge and a love of all things property.
How can we achieve council approval so quickly?
We’re the experts! We are at the forefront of our industry, and our time-honoured principles are based on 1,400+ projects. Our clients achieve council approval weeks or even months quicker than they would by just using a drafter, doing it alone, or asking the help of their cousin, because:
- We have professional relationships with staff within council.
- Professionally prepared documentation is proven to go quicker through council.
- We used to work within council, so we speak the same language.
We hire experienced ex–council staff that know the council approval inside out. We take the stress out of dealing with council so that you can get back to doing what you love.
What are the chances of getting development approval?
We understand that knowing the probability of success with council from the beginning is important in making business decisions.
Over the last 1,400+ projects, we’ve learned a few things along the way. During the initial consultation, we will give you our opinion of the likelihood of consent so you know upfront whether it is worth you spending any time and effort in seeking consent for your development.
Questions to ask your consultant…
- Did you once work within council? We speak the same language as council, as all of our team once worked within local government.
- How many decades of experience do you have? We are not a new start-up. We have been helping people achieve council approval for 40 years.
- What are your values? Our values of integrity, respect, and perseverance come from being founded on the shoulders of a father-and-son team.
- Do you have local knowledge? Don’t be fooled by our 1300 number. We serve the grassroots of the suburbs and towns that make up our great state of NSW.
- Are you a certified planner? Our town planners are all members of the Planning Institute of Australia, and within our team we have Certified Practicing Planners.
- Do you get results? You might have heard that we achieve council approval for someone somewhere in NSW every 4.5 days.
- How many shop approvals have your team handled? We draw on the experience of the past, having over 1400 projects on our records.
What Are People Saying About Us.
Adam Prowse, Personal Trainer, Maitland, NSW