Fast Track Your Council Approval for a Personal Training Facility
Saving you the time, hassle and stress of doing it yourself
We help personal trainers to turn their dreams into a reality by assisting them to get council approval for their premises. Founded in 1996 we employ ex-local government staff to give your development application the best possible chance. We know town planning law back to front and eat complexity for breakfast.
The dream you have for your personal training facility is close; only thing is that a premises (or adjustments to an existing one) will bring scrutiny from council – considerations such as car parking, physical changes to the building, noise generation and hours of operation will be closely looked at.
Your first step is to give us a call on 1300 008 138 to establish whether you need council approval or if there is an easier avenue.
Do you need council approval?
When you give us a call we will listen to your ambitions for your personal training business and will ask you questions to help us better understand the direction you want to head.
As the NSW planning system is complex and can be frustrating for small business owners, the first step that we look at for our clients is to see if there is a way we can fast track the paper work through a simplified application process. If a development application is found to be needed we will provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision to move forward.
The first step is to engage us to do an initial consultation (known as a preliminary planning assessment). This consultation will provide an expert opinion on whether council approval is needed and if so, what is the best avenue to maximise the chances of success.
Lisa (café owner) shares her story of opening a café.
So how does the process work?
Our proven 5-step process to achieving council approval for a personal training facility is designed to enhance your success. Each step is designed to leverage our 40 years’ experience in dealing with council so that you can achieve council approval as quickly as possible.
Your Steps to Development Approval
Step 1 Preliminary Planning Assessment
Step 2 Documentation Preparation
Step 3 Lodge Most Appropriate Application*
Step 4 Approval from council or certifier
Step 5 Celebrate
*Requires expert input to ensure success
What council rules do I need to comply with?
Some things to consider
We consult to many personal trainers. Some of the themes we see coming through in terms of local government compliance for a personal training facility are:
1. Car parking – You have fantastic ideas for a personal training facility in one the many bustling areas of NSW, but how will they get to you? Will your patrons need to drive? If so, will you have adequate parking? Will you be seen to be placing extra burden on existing infrastructure? How do you know what is adequate? How do you get around the town planning rules?
2. Defining your development – Did you know your plan for a personal training facility may actually be considered a recreational facility (indoor)? Or could it be in your best interest to classify your personal training facility as a business premises? What may seem like very minor details in your business plans could make the difference in the type of approval required.
3. Appointments or Walk-Ins – Do you want to offer your facility by appointment only or do you plan allow students or membership access during specified business hours.
4. Personal training facility with Retail – Were you thinking of having a retail component to your personal training facility. This is something you will need elaborate upon in the application and show the floor space dedicated to retail on the plans.
Every 4.5 days we achieve council approval for our clients.
We know what council is looking for… because we used to be employees of council!
What Experience Do We Have?
Here’s a sample of personal training facilities we have helped achieve council approval for:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t I organise the approval myself?
Fast track your council approval … save the time hassle and stress of doing it yourself. NSW has the most complicated planning system in Australia. In business, time is money. Get your personal training facility running the way you want it as quickly as possible. We’ll leave the work out to you, leave the development approval to us.
Can I start trading without local government consent?
What many don’t realise is that when you don’t comply with town planning law you’re actually breaking the law. We’ve come to the rescue of people faced with a $3,000 per day fine under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act NSW.
Business owners need business certainty before investing in the fit out and promotion of your personal training facility. Don’t risk being closed down by council. Call us and engage us to do a preliminary assessment on your proposal.
How much does it cost?
Call our office on 02 4784 3235 for a no obligation discussion about the desired outcome you would like to achieve for your personal training facility. Based on what you tell us about your proposal we would be happy to provide a quote for what we feel your next step is.
Do you also prepare plans?
Yes. We have a dedicated team of three CAD designers plus additional architects to help turn your personal training facility dream into a reality.
Want someone local?
Our family run business is about connecting with clients. Our team live and work in the suburbs and towns you are in. We love local as much as you do. It not only makes for better communities it makes for better town planning and better personal training facilities.
Who Will Be Working On My Project?
Client Relations Manager
With over a decade of experience in the property world, which includes working for the Australian Property Institute, Tracy has a wealth of knowledge and a love of all things property.
How can we achieve council approval so quickly?
We’re the experts! We are at the forefront of our industry and our time honoured principles are based on 1,200+ projects. Our clients achieve council approval weeks even months quicker than just using a draftsman, doing it alone or with the help of your cousin because:
- We have professional relationships with staff within council,
- Professionally prepared documentation is proven to go quicker through council, and
- We used to work within council – we speak the same language.
We hire experience ex-council staff that know the council approval inside out. We take the stress out of dealing with council so that you can get back to doing what you love.
Why We’re Trusted By Our Clients
- We employ ex-council staff
Having worked for council our team speaks the same
language as council staff.
- Four decades of experience
Since the 1970’s our team has been helping people
achieve council approval.
Founded on the shoulders of a father and son team, with old
fashioned values of integrity, respect & perseverance.
- Local knowledge
Our consultants are based in the suburbs of Sydney
and regional NSW, so we can give you local knowledge.
- No job too small
We specialise on helping the average person on
achieving their dreams for their property or business.
- We’re results driven
We get results with council. That’s why they call us the
“Council Approval Experts”
- We make the path smooth
Leave the challenge of dealing with local government to the experts
- We push the boundaries
By challenging the expectations of our industry we
believe we can redefine the value that we offer.
1,400+ projects and still counting
Our team is spread out in home offices throughout Sydney and NSW so that we can form relationships with local councils and be accessible to our clients. Check out our map below of areas we have worked in… chances are we know your property better than you think.
What Are The Chances Of Getting Development Approval?
We understand that knowing the probability of success with council from the beginning is important in making business decisions.
Over the last 1,400+ projects, we’ve learned a few things along the way. During the initial consultation, we will give you our opinion of the likelihood of consent so you know upfront whether it is worth you spending any time and effort in seeking consent for your personal training facility.
Questions to ask your consultant…
- Did you once work within council? We speak the same language as council as all of our team once worked within local government.
- How many decades of experience do you have? We are not a new start up as we have been helping people achieve council approval for 40 years.
- What are your values? Our values of integrity, respect and perseverance come from being founded on the shoulders of a father and son team.
- Do you have local knowledge? Don’t be fooled by our 1300 number. We serve the grass roots of the suburbs and towns that make up our great State of NSW.
- Are you a certified planner? Our town planners are all members of the Planning Institute of Australia and within our team we have Certified Practicing Planners.
- Do you get results? You might have heard that we achieve council approval for someone somewhere in NSW every 4.5 days.
- How many personal training facility approvals have your team handled? We draw on the experience of the past having over 1400 projects on our records.
What Are People Saying About Us.
Adam Prowse, Personal Trainer, Maitland, NSW