Achieve Council Approval for a Shed
We’ll fast-track council approval for your shed, saving you the time, hassle, and stress of doing it yourself. As expert consultant town planners, we navigate the council approval process for you.
We consistently help property owners turn their dreams into a reality by assisting them to get council approval for their shed. Founded in 1996, we employ ex–local government staff to give your development application the best possible chance. We know town planning law back to front and eat complexity for breakfast.
The dream you have for your shed is close; the only thing is that a shed (or adjustments to an existing one) will bring scrutiny from council – considerations such as whether the shed can be undertaken as exempt or complying development, whether the proposed shed is appropriately located, suitable use of building materials and colours or whether an existing shed could be converted into a granny flat, will be closely looked at.
Your first step is to give us a call on 1300 008 138 to establish whether you need council approval or if there is an easier avenue.
Do you need council approval?
When you give us a call, we will listen to your ambitions for your shed and will ask you questions to help us better understand the direction you want to head.
As the NSW planning system is complex and can be frustrating for property owners, our first step will be to see if there is a way we can fast-track the paperwork through a simplified application process. If a development application is found to be needed, we will provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision to move forward.
The first step is to engage us to do an initial consultation (known as a preliminary planning assessment). This consultation will provide an expert opinion on whether council approval is needed and, if so, what the best avenue to maximise the chances of success is.
Lisa (café owner) shares her story of opening a café.
So how does the process work?
That’s a fair question and a good thought to have. This is a proven 5-step process we have designed to enhance your success in achieving approval for your shed. Each step is designed to leverage our 40 years’ experience in dealing with council so that you can achieve council approval as quickly as possible.
Your Steps to Development Approval
Step 1 Preliminary Planning Assessment
Step 2 Documentation Preparation
Step 3 Lodge Most Appropriate Application*
Step 4 Approval from council or certifier
Step 5 Celebrate
*Requires expert input to ensure success
What council rules do I need to comply with?
Some things to consider
We consult to many property owners. Some of the themes we see coming through in terms of local government compliance for a shed are:
1. Exempt or complying development – You may be able to build a shed without having to lodge a DA with council. But the provisions which control whether or not a DA is required is particularly onerous, and you may find that you need assistance in interpretation of the provisions controlling exempt and complying development.
2. Building materials and colours – You have looked on the website and found that most sheds these days are prefabricated by shed companies specialising in the design and construction of sheds.These sheds are made from metal such as colourbond. But your site is located in a Heritage Conservation Area, and council has strict rules regarding the types of materials that can be used for new development within a Heritage Conservation Area. How will you meet the council requirements, when councils wants only a timber shed and you want your colourbond shed?
3. Location – The only area where you could place your shed happens to be located over a council drain, and the survey and stormwater report you provided to council with your DA for the new shed did not pick this up. Council wants to refuse your DA. How do you address these issues and get the DA back on track to enable a positive determination from council?
4. Habitable building – Granny wants to come and live with you, and you have a brilliant idea about converting your existing shed into a granny flat. Will the council let you do this? What are the rules and regulations in the Building Code of Australia regarding the minimum requirements for developing a habitable building? What will the neighbours think about this?
Every 4.5 days we achieve council approval for our clients. We know the answers council officers are looking for, because our team once used to work within council. It is almost like hiring an examiner to write the answers in your test—we know the answers to the exam before you sit it.
We know what council is looking for… because we used to be employees of council!
What Experience Do We Have?
Here’s a sample of sheds we have helped achieve council approval for:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t I organise the approval myself?
We fast-track your council approval process, saving you the time hassle and stress of doing it yourself. NSW has the most complicated planning system in Australia. In business, time is money. Get your shed running the way you want it as quickly as possible. We’ll leave the workout to you; leave the development approval to us.
Can I start trading without local government consent?
What many don’t realise is that when you don’t comply with town planning law, you’re actually breaking the law. We’ve come to the rescue of people faced with a $3,000 per day fine under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act NSW.
As a property owner, you need business certainty before investing in the fit-out of your shed. Don’t risk being closed down by council. Call us and engage us to do a preliminary assessment of your proposal.
How much does it cost?
Call our office on 02 4784 3235 for a no-obligation discussion about the desired outcome you would like to achieve for your shed. Based on what you tell us about your proposal, we would be happy to provide a quote for what we feel your next step is.
Do you also prepare plans?
Yes, if needed. We have a dedicated team of three CAD designers plus additional architects to help turn your shed dream into a reality.
Want someone local?
Our family-run business is about connecting with clients. Our team live and work in the suburbs and towns you are in. We love ‘local’ as much as you do. It not only makes for better communities, but it also makes for better town planning and better sheds.
Who Will Be Working On My Project?
Client Relations Manager
With over a decade of experience in the property world, which includes working for the Australian Property Institute, Tracy has a wealth of knowledge and a love of all things property.
How can we achieve council approval so quickly?
We’re the experts! We are at the forefront of our industry, and our time-honoured principles are based on 1,400+ projects. Our clients achieve council approval weeks or even months quicker than they would by just using a drafter, doing it alone, or asking the help of their cousin, because:
- We have professional relationships with staff within council.
- Professionally prepared documentation is proven to go quicker through council.
- We used to work within council, so we speak the same language.
We hire experienced ex–council staff that know the council approval inside out. We take the stress out of dealing with council so that you can get back to doing what you love.
Why We’re Trusted By Our Clients
- We employ ex-council staff
Having worked for council, our team speaks the same
language as council staff.
- Four decades of experience
Since the 1970’s our team has been helping people
achieve council approval.
Founded on the shoulders of a father-and-son team, with old-fashioned values of integrity, respect, and perseverance
- Local knowledge
Our consultants are based in the suburbs of Sydney
and regional NSW, so we can give you local knowledge.
- No job too small
We specialise on helping the average person achieve their dreams for their property or business.
- We’re results driven
We get results with council. That’s why they call us the
‘council approval experts’
- We make the path smooth
Leave the challenge of dealing with local government to the experts
- We push the boundaries
By challenging the expectations of our industry we
believe we can redefine the value that we offer.
1,400+ projects and still counting
As long as your property is in NSW, we can help you. Our team of council approval experts are spread out across Sydney and NSW so that we can form relationships with councils and be accessible to our clients.
What Are The Chances Of Getting Development Approval?
We understand that knowing the probability of success with council from the beginning is important in making business decisions.
Over the last 1,400+ projects, we’ve learned a few things along the way. During the initial consultation, we will give you our opinion of the likelihood of consent so you know upfront whether it is worth you spending any time and effort in seeking consent for your shed.
Questions to ask your consultant…
- Did you once work within council? We speak the same language as council, as all of our team once worked within local government.
- How many decades of experience do you have? We are not a new start-up. We have been helping people achieve council approval for 40 years.
- What are your values? Our values of integrity, respect, and perseverance come from being founded on the shoulders of a father-and-son team.
- Do you have local knowledge? Don’t be fooled by our 1300 number. We serve the grassroots of the suburbs and towns that make up our great state of NSW.
- Are you a certified planner? Our town planners are all members of the Planning Institute of Australia, and within our team we have Certified Practicing Planners.
- Do you get results? You might have heard that we achieve council approval for someone somewhere in NSW every 4.5 days.
- How many shed approvals have your team handled? We draw on the experience of the past, having over 1400 projects on our records.
What Are People Saying About Us.
We wish we could introduce you to the property owners we have already consulted to so they could share their story with you. But for now, here are a few insights we’ve gathered to share with you:
Adam Prowse, Personal Trainer, Maitland, NSW