Achieve Council Approval for a Subdivision
We’ll fast-track council approval for your subdivision, saving you the time, hassle, and stress of doing it yourself. As expert consultant town planners, we navigate the council approval process for you.
We consistently help property owners turn their dreams into a reality by assisting them to get council approval for their subdivision. Founded in 1996, we employ ex–local government staff to give your development application the best possible chance. We know town planning law back to front and eat complexity for breakfast.
The dream you have for your subdivision is close; the only thing is that a subdivision (or adjustments to an existing one) will bring scrutiny from council – considerations such allotment sizes, access, Aboriginal heritage, zoning, whether your site is located within one or more of the many Protected Areas and whether you have enough land to account for site coverage and landscaped area for each new lot, will be closely looked at.
Your first step is to give us a call on 1300 008 138 to establish whether you need council approval or if there is an easier avenue.
Do you need council approval?
When you give us a call, we will listen to your ambitions for your subdivision and will ask you questions to help us better understand the direction you want to head.
As the NSW planning system is complex and can be frustrating for property owners, our first step will be to see if there is a way we can fast-track the paperwork through a simplified application process. If a development application is found to be needed, we will provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision to move forward.
The first step is to engage us to do an initial consultation (known as a preliminary planning assessment). This consultation will provide an expert opinion on whether council approval is needed and, if so, what the best avenue to maximise the chances of success is.
Lisa (café owner) shares her story of opening a café.
So how does the process work?
That’s a fair question and a good thought to have. This is a proven 5-step process we have designed to enhance your success in achieving approval for your subdivision. Each step is designed to leverage our 40 years’ experience in dealing with council so that you can achieve council approval as quickly as possible.
What council rules do I need to comply with?
Some things to consider
We consult to many property owners. Some of the themes we see coming through in terms of local government compliance for a subdivision are:
1. Site area – Upon purchasing your land, you did not realise that in order to have a battle axe lot, the area that constitutes the axe handle cannot be included in the new lot area. Will council allow you to subdivide that land to achieve the same number of lots that you first envisaged?
2. Zoning – The land which you have just purchased and want to subdivide is zoned one of the Environmental Protection Zones under councils Local Environmental Plan, and this zone limits the amount of developmental space for a new dwelling within each new lot. These limitations will impact on the development potential of the site and your economic returns. What would be the best subdivision design so that the maximum possible developable land area can be realised?
3. Aboriginal heritage – 3. After purchasing your site and lodging your DA for subdivision with council, it is discovered that one of the new lots supports a relic that is protected as an Aboriginal heritage item under local and state heritage laws. Will you still be able to create this new lot? Who do you turn to in order to prepare the necessary Aboriginal heritage impact assessment and surveys of the land?
4. Access – Your land is particularly steep and only sections of the site will be capable of supporting a new dwelling house. You have included your proposed driveway in the DA plans to council, however council says that the land will be too steep to provide for suitable and safe access. Are there alternate locations where you could place the access? This is something you will need elaborate upon in the application and show that the new allotments can be safely accessed by a vehicle.
5. Site coverage and landscaped area – You have purchased your land on the understanding that you have enough land area to create 5 new allotments. However, council refuses your DA because there is not enough land area for each new lot to achieve maximum site coverage and minimum landscaped area requirements. Can you get around these planning laws, and if so, how will you approach this?
Every 4.5 days we achieve council approval for our clients. We know the answers council officers are looking for, because our team once used to work within council. It is almost like hiring an examiner to write the answers in your test—we know the answers to the exam before you sit it.
We know what council is looking for… because we used to be employees of council!
What Experience Do We Have?
Here’s a sample of subdivisions we have helped achieve council approval for:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t I organise the approval myself?
We fast-track your council approval process, saving you the time hassle and stress of doing it yourself. NSW has the most complicated planning system in Australia. In business, time is money. Get your subdivision running the way you want it as quickly as possible. We’ll leave the workout to you; leave the development approval to us.
Can I start trading without local government consent?
What many don’t realise is that when you don’t comply with town planning law, you’re actually breaking the law. We’ve come to the rescue of people faced with a $3,000 per day fine under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act NSW.
As a property owner, you need business certainty before investing your subdivision. Don’t risk being closed down by council. Call us and engage us to do a preliminary assessment of your proposal.
How much does it cost?
Call our office on 1300008138 for a no-obligation discussion about the desired outcome you would like to achieve for your subdivision. Based on what you tell us about your proposal, we would be happy to provide a quote for what we feel your next step is.
Do you also prepare plans?
Yes, if needed. We have a dedicated team of three CAD designers plus additional architects to help turn your subdivision dream into a reality.
Want someone local?
Our family-run business is about connecting with clients. Our team live and work in the suburbs and towns you are in. We love ‘local’ as much as you do. It not only makes for better communities, but it also makes for better town planning and better subdivisions.
Who Will Be Working On My Project?
Max, the guru and head honcho, is our principal consultant. With over 40 years experience he is regularly featured in the Sydney Morning Herald, ABC Radio, Domain and other media. He is a Registered Planner, Life Fellow of the Planning Institute of Australia and is one of Australia’s most experienced town planners.
How can we achieve council approval so quickly?
We’re the experts! We are at the forefront of our industry, and our time-honoured principles are based on 1,400+ projects. Our clients achieve council approval weeks or even months quicker than they would by just using a drafter, doing it alone, or asking the help of their cousin, because:
- We have professional relationships with staff within council.
- Professionally prepared documentation is proven to go quicker through council.
- We used to work within council, so we speak the same language.
We hire experienced ex–council staff that know the council approval inside out. We take the stress out of dealing with council so that you can get back to doing what you love.
Town Planners – NSW’s #1 Town Planning Consultancy
- We employ ex-council town planners
Having worked for council our team speaks the same
language as council staff.
- Five decades of experience
Since the 1970’s our team has been helping people
achieve council approval.
Founded on the shoulders of a father and son team, with old
fashioned values of integrity, respect & perseverance.
- Local knowledge
Our consultants are based in the suburbs of Sydney
and regional NSW, so we can give you local knowledge.
- 2,000+ Projects – We get results
We get results with council. After 2,000+ projects, that’s why they call us the “Council Approval Experts”.
- No job too small
We specialise on helping the average person on
achieving their dreams for their property or business.
- We make the path smooth
Leave the challenge of dealing with local government to the experts
- We push the boundaries
By challenging the expectations of our industry we
believe we can redefine the value that we offer.
1,400+ projects and still counting
As long as your property is in NSW, we can help you. Our team of council approval experts are spread out across Sydney and NSW so that we can form relationships with councils and be accessible to our clients.
What Are The Chances Of Getting Development Approval?
We understand that knowing the probability of success with council from the beginning is important in making business decisions.
Over the last 1,400+ projects, we’ve learned a few things along the way. During the initial consultation, we will give you our opinion of the likelihood of consent so you know upfront whether it is worth you spending any time and effort in seeking consent for your subdivision.
Questions to ask your consultant…
- Did you once work within council? We speak the same language as council, as all of our team once worked within local government.
- How many decades of experience do you have? We are not a new start-up. We have been helping people achieve council approval for 40 years.
- What are your values? Our values of integrity, respect, and perseverance come from being founded on the shoulders of a father-and-son team.
- Do you have local knowledge? Don’t be fooled by our 1300 number. We serve the grassroots of the suburbs and towns that make up our great state of NSW.
- Are you a certified planner? Our town planners are all members of the Planning Institute of Australia, and within our team we have Certified Practicing Planners.
- Do you get results? You might have heard that we achieve council approval for someone somewhere in NSW every 4.5 days.
- How many subdivision approvals have your team handled? We draw on the experience of the past, having over 1400 projects on our records.
What Are People Saying About Us.
We wish we could introduce you to the property owners we have already consulted to so they could share their story with you. But for now, here are a few insights we’ve gathered to share with you:
Adam Prowse, Personal Trainer, Maitland, NSW