What’s the Boarding House Zoning You Need?

What’s the boarding house zoning you need? Boarding houses can be great developments for a community, but it’s not easy to determine where you build one. Max Fragar, our founder, Life Fellow PIA and Registered Planner, discusses what zones allow boarding houses.

Click on the “Play” button below to watch now:

Or for those that prefer to read, here is a transcript of the video…

What Do You Need to Know About Boarding House Zoning?

I’m Max Fragar of the Council Approval Group. There is no boarding house zone. the state government has bought in regulations and the council have their own local environmental plan. The state regulations actually tie with the council. Boarding houses generally need to be allowed in the zone, although in some places the state policy overrides the council zoning and makes it allowable in the zone.
As a general rule, boarding houses are allowed in the R2, R3, R3 type zones or maybe the business zones, but that’s not universal and can change from council to council.
I think that the state and the councils have just made it deliberately confusing so you can’t answer the question – what is the boarding house zone. You need an assessment of your site or help to find a site. We’ll provide you with the general rules. We’ll say, ‘Alright this is the zone you can have it in. Yes, it is allowed here. We might get 12 boarding house rooms.’ It’s a great thing to do. It’s great for doctors and all those nice people that want to live a boarding house room close to services.

Work with the Experts

So book a consultation on our website or give us a call. We’ll look at your site and see if we can go further with it. Then we take it step-by-step with you. We can draw the plans for you if that’s where we get to. I think you’ll find that this is a really rewarding thing. It’s rewarding to see those lovely people with a place to live, knowing they wouldn’t live there unless you’d done a project. All the best.