Fast Track Your Council Approval For A Cafe
Saving you the time, hassle and stress of doing it yourself
We have helped nearly 100 café and restaurant owners turn their dreams into a reality by assisting them to get council approval for their premises. Founded in 1996 we employ ex-local government staff to give your development application the best possible chance. We know town planning law back to front and eat complexity for breakfast.
The dream you have for your café is close; only thing is that a new café (or adjustments to an existing one) will bring scrutiny from council – considerations such as increased patronage,car parking, physical changes to the building, outdoor dining and hours of operation will be looked at.
Your first step is to give us a call on 1300 008 138 to establish whether you need council approval or if there is an easier avenue.
Do you need council approval?
When you give us a call we will listen to your ambitions for your café and will ask you questions to help us better understand the direction you want to head.
As the NSW planning system is complex and can be frustrating for small business owners, the first step that we look at for our clients is to see if there is a way we can fast track the paper work through a simplified application process. If a development application is found to be needed we will provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision to move forward.
The first step is to engage us to do an initial consultation (known as a preliminary planning assessment). This consultation will provide an expert opinion on whether council approval is needed and if so, what is the best avenue to maximise the chances of success.
What People Say About Working With Us
So how does the process work?
Our proven 5-step process to achieving council approval for a café is designed to enhance your chances of success. Each step is designed to leverage our 40 years experience in dealing with council so that you can achieve council approval as quickly as possible.
What council rules do I need to comply with?
Some things to consider
We’ve consulted to over 100 café owners. Some of the themes we see coming through in terms of local government compliance are:
1. Car parking – You have fantastic ideas for a café in one the many bustling areas of NSW, but how will they get to you? Will your patrons need to drive? If so, will you have adequate parking? Will you be seen to be placing extra burden on existing infrastructure? How do you know what is adequate? How do you get around the town planning rules?
2. Defining your development – Did you know your plan for a hip café may actually be considered a restaurant? Or could it be in your best interest to classify your café as a take away food and drink premises?
3. Outdoor seating – Do you want outdoor seating? Having outdoor seating is an attractive feature cafes, but is sometimes limited by location and given it is usually on public land requires a careful proposal to be framed.
4. Restaurants with Retail – Were you thinking of having a retail component to your restaurant or cafe? Many eateries have a retail component, but you may not have realised that the retail part of the business could require a separate approval with separate parking requirements.
Every 4.5 days we achieve council approval for our clients.
We know what council is looking for… because we used to be employees of council!
What Experience Do We Have?
Here’s a sample of cafes we have helped achieve council approval for
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t I organise the approval myself?
Fast track your council approval … save the time hassle and stress of doing it yourself. NSW has the most complicated planning system in Australia. In business, time is money. Get your café running the way you want it as quickly as possible. We’ll leave the cooking to you, leave the development approval to us.
Can I start trading without local government consent?
What many don’t realise is that when you don’t comply with town planning law you’re actually breaking the law. We’ve come to the rescue of people faced with a $3,000 per day fine under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act NSW.
Business owners need business certainty before investing in the fit out and promotion of your café. Don’t risk being closed down by council. Call us and engage us to do a preliminary assessment on your proposal.
How much does it cost?
Call our office on 1300008138 for a no obligation discussion about the desired outcome you would like to achieve for your café. Based on what you tell us about your proposal we would be happy to provide a quote for what we feel your next step is.
Do you also prepare plans?
Yes. We have a dedicated team of three CAD designers plus additional architects to help turn your café dream into a reality.
Want someone local?
Our family run business is about connecting with clients. Our team live and work in the suburbs and towns you are in. We love local as much as you do. It not only makes for better communities it makes for better town planning and better cafes.
Who Will Be Working On My Project?
Max, the guru and head honcho, is our principal consultant. With over 40 years experience he is regularly featured in the Sydney Morning Herald, ABC Radio, Domain and other media. He is a Registered Planner, Life Fellow of the Planning Institute of Australia and is one of Australia’s most experienced town planners.
How can we achieve council approval so quickly?
We’re the experts! We are at the forefront of our industry and our time honoured principles are based on 2,000+ projects. Our clients achieve council approval weeks even months quicker than just using a draftsman, doing it alone or with the help of your cousin because:
- We have professional relationships with staff within council,
- Professionally prepared documentation is proven to go quicker through council, and
- We used to work within council – we speak the same language.
We hire experience ex-council staff that know the council approval inside out. We take the stress out of dealing with council so that you can get back to doing what you love.
Town Planners – NSW’s #1 Town Planning Consultancy
- We employ ex-council town planners
Having worked for council our team speaks the same
language as council staff.
- Five decades of experience
Since the 1970’s our team has been helping people
achieve council approval.
Founded on the shoulders of a father and son team, with old
fashioned values of integrity, respect & perseverance.
- Local knowledge
Our consultants are based in the suburbs of Sydney
and regional NSW, so we can give you local knowledge.
- 2,000+ Projects – We get results
We get results with council. After 2,000+ projects, that’s why they call us the “Council Approval Experts”.
- No job too small
We specialise on helping the average person on
achieving their dreams for their property or business.
- We make the path smooth
Leave the challenge of dealing with local government to the experts
- We push the boundaries
By challenging the expectations of our industry we
believe we can redefine the value that we offer.
What Are The Chances Of Getting Development Approval?
We understand that knowing the probability of success with council from the beginning is important in making business decisions.
Over the last 2,000+ projects we’ve learned a few things along the way. Our initial consultation will give you our opinion of the likelihood of consent so you know up front whether it is worth you spending any time and effort in seeking consent for your café.
Questions to ask your consultant…
- Did you once work within council? We speak the same language as council as all of our team once worked within local government.
- How many decades of experience do you have? We are not a new start up as we have been helping people achieve council approval for 40 years.
- What are your values? Our values of integrity, respect and perseverance come from being founded on the shoulders of a father and son team.
- Do you have local knowledge? Don’t be fooled by our 1300 number. We serve the grass roots of the suburbs and towns that make up our great State of NSW.
- Are you a certified planner? Our town planners are all members of the Planning Institute of Australia and within our team we have Certified Practicing Planners.
- Do you get results? You might have heard that we achieve council approval for someone somewhere in NSW every 4.5 days.
- How many café approvals have your team handled? We draw on the experience of the past having over 100 café or restaurant projects on our records.
What Others Say
Educator & Investor
‘Being from a non-English speaking background it was particularly important for me to find someone who took the time for me to understand the vision I had for the project.
Through every part of the process Fragar Planning is honest, keen and give good technical knowledge.’