Is It Possible to Have a Dual Occupancy on Acreage?

Do you own or are you thinking of buying a larger parcel outside of the city? If so you might be wondering if you can still have a dual occupancy on acreage.

In this video, Colin Fragar, our founder and CEO, talks about dual occupancy development in more rural areas.

Click on the “Play” button below to watch now:

Or for those that prefer to read, here is a transcript of the video…

Can you have a dual occupancy on an acreage? My name is Colin Fragar from Council Approval Group.

One question that we sometimes get from people who are on a larger parcel of land is can I still have a dual occupancy? You’re sitting probably in a beautiful part of the world or a beautiful part of the outskirts of a city or in a regional centre. And you’re just thinking I would love to have a second dwelling on my acreage so that I can maximize the return that I get. Maybe to help pay the mortgage, maybe put my mother or mother-in-law in there.

Where Are Dual Occupancies Allowed?

A dual occupancy on an acreage, generally, is not allowed. Generally, it’s in denser zoning, like in town.

However, there are exceptions to that rule. I have been surprised, for example, in places like Liverpool, which is in Sydney, in an area which is largely being developed for the new huge Western Sydney Airport, which is going to be Australia’s largest airport one day. Dual occupancies are only allowed on acreage. They’re not allowed in the town centre area. So it just really depends on where you are.
It’s really important for us to have a look at your site. There may be options other than dual occupancy.
We can do, for example, workers dwellings. Sometimes we can do secondary dwellings. We deal a lot with rural properties as well.

Take the Next Step

What I recommend you do first is have a look at Your Ultimate Guide to Council Approval, which you can download from our website. But more importantly, if you already have a property and you’re thinking about its highest and best use, please book in for a consultation with one of our team.

The way it works is if you go to right now, have a look at the appointment schedule, choose a time that suits you, and then one of our consultants will call you at that time. You can then share with them what you’re trying to achieve and see if we can assist with that. What we’ll do is work out a clear roadmap going forward so you’ll have a clearer picture in your mind about what you can do with your property and be able to better achieve that council approval.

My name is Colin Fragar from Council Approval Group. Thanks for watching.